Grafton Battlecat Mead
Brew Date: 10/21/12
- 1.2 gallons Grafton Backyard Honey
- 8 oz Grafton Backyard Honey (for late supplementation)
- 2pks wine yeast
- Fermax & Yeast Nutrient
- Warm 3 gallons of water to 100F. Dissolve all honey in the kettle.
- Raise to a temperature of 120F. Hold for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Empty into carboys with cold water pre-filled to make 8 gallons. Use a funnel to encourage oxygenation.
- At pitching temperatures, add 1 tbs each of Fermax and Yeast Nutrient to each carboy. Pitch one packet per carboy.
- At 24h after inoculation, add 1/2 tbs each Fermax and Yeast Nutrient to each carboy.
- No later than 48h post-inoculation, supplement each carboy with 1c honey in 1c water (ideally following steps 1-2 again).
- AFter 48h houney addition, add 1/2 tbs each Fermax and Yeast Nutrient to each carboy.
- Ferment for 1 month, then rack to secondary.
- Cellar for 6 months, then bottle.
Primary Date: 10/21/12
Secondary Date: 01/7/13
Package Date: 05/23/13
Package Type: 750mL wine bottles with #9 cork
OG: 1.110 (Back Calculated from initial gravity readings of 1.080 and 1.067, plus supplementation, assumed equal blending upon bottling)
Fermentation Temp: 66-67 F
FG: 1.008 (Both carboys ended here)
Final ABV: 14.7