ManofSteele’s El Hefe Esta Aqui Hefeweizen
Brew Date: 7/6/11
Brew Partners: Man of Steele
- 1.0 lb. Bavarian Wheat
- 0.7 lb. German Pilsner
- 6.0 lb. Bavarian Wheat DME (65% wheat 35% amber)
- 0.9 oz Saaz hops (60min)
- Munich-Style Dry Yeast
- Fill pot with 3.0 (~9L) gallons of clean water.
- In a large muslin bag, steep the grains in the water. Bring temperature to 130F for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 145F for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 160F for 15 minutes.
- Remove and sparge grains with ~1L water. Raise wort to a boil.
- Boil for 15 minutes. At 15 minutes, add bittering hops. Continue boiling for 60 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add to 2.0 gallons of cold clean water in glass carboy.
- Let sit, covered with sterilized tin foil, overnight to cool.
- Reconstitute dry yeast with 1cup water at ~105F. Cool to room temperature.
- Pitch yeast at 72F wort temperature.
Primary Date: 7/7/11
Rack Date: n/a
Package Type: Brown glas bottles
OG: 1.061 / 15.3P
Final ABV: 4.5%
Appearance: pale gold, with more clarity than expected. Pours a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly.
Aroma: banana and malty sweetness.
Taste: a great fruity essence of flavor, although it is followed up by a caramel-sweet malt backbone. A little bit toasty, possibly from overboil.