Fecky the Ninth Irish Red Ale
Brew Date: 1/15/12
Grain Bill: 3.3# Amber DME, 3.3# Amber LME, 1.1# Crystal 40°L, 0.5# 2-Row
Hop Bill: 1.1z Northern Brewer Pellet @60min, 1z Chinook Pellet @1min
Yeast: Safale 001
Fermentation Temp: 62-64F
- Spread the 2-Row out on a cookie sheet. Toast for 10 minutes at 350F.
- Fill pot with 3.0 (~9L) gallons of clean water.
- Raise the temperature to 150F. Add the specialty grains in a muslin bag and steep for 60 minutes.
- At boil, add bittering hops. Continue boiling for 60 minutes.
- In the last 1 minute, add finishing hops.
- At 0 minutes, drop in wort chiller to boil for 1 minutes and flame out. Run the wort chiller until the temperature has dropped to 75F.
- Whirlpool the wort with a sanitized spoon and strain out cold-break material from center of kettle.
- Add to 2.0 gallons of cold clean water to a sanitized glass carboy.
- Decant liquor from the brewpot into the carboy, being careful to leave any remaining cold-break and hop matter in the kettle. Fill carboy to 5.0gal.
- Pitch dry yeast at room temperature directly into the carboy.